Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Got Your Back

His boogers hurt. He's been telling me this all day. He's been sneezing, teething, crying, whining, and asking me to put cream on his mouth, his boogers, his feet and other random extremities that are causing him pain. Ever since a severe infection that required lots of cream, that's his new remedy to any problem. He wants to put cream on it when we get home.


I took him to story time today at the library and he stubbed his toe. He wanted cream on it. His molars are coming in and he wants cream on them.


Same day, different note...

When he is playing with other kids, I usually assume that he has an equal amount to do with any issue that they are having, which is usually sharing. He is two, and two equals mine. It's that simple. And sometimes, he just does things to assert himself and irritate other kids, like only playing with the toy they want, or holding the door to the playhouse shut so that no one else can get in. I forget a lot that instead of apologizing for him and always assuming he has done his share, that there are times when I need to defend him. Even if it's just staying out of it and teaching him that I trust him to do the right thing.


Today at story time was one of those moments. Another kid wanted the toy he had, and instead of telling him that he needed to share, I just sat there. When he looked at me for my approval in not handing the toy over I just smiled. All I wanted to say was, "I got your back." And it felt good to be devoted to that. It felt like a new way to let him know that I love him. And it felt good to be an ally.


And a small confession, the other kid was a brat. So even if Ethan had been trying to hoard the toy, I think I still would have sat there and let my son assert himself.

No comments: